Monday, April 14, 2008

MEET THE GRANDDAUGHTER

Well, don't ever let anyone tell you life can't change in a blink. When I got up this a.m. I was preparing to spend the weekend play Grandma-Mom to Kyle while Laurie & Eric were in Vegas at the Expo. Fast forward.....Steven called, "Mom, how would you like Crystal for 4 days this coming weekend?" Now let me tell you, the last time I saw Crystal no one liked her, sad to say, me included. She was a self-centered, spoiled "Daddy's Girl" who had no respect for anyone and knew she could get whatever she wanted whenever she wanted simply by asking 'Daddy'. Steven even admitted he was responsible for the monster I called a granddaughter. She was about 9 or 10 then. Well today she is 15 and we have emailed sporadically over the last couple of years and, be praised, she has matured and, in her emails at least, seems to have mellowed significantly and seems like she might actually have turned from monster to human! Anyway, guess I'll find out soon because when I come off my shift as Grandma-Mom to Kyle on Thursday at about 8 p.m. I'll be picking up the mantel of Grandma-Mom to his 15 year old cousin, my granddaughter, Crystal. Truth be told - I AM STOKED - Spending 4 days with my 15 year old granddaughter I have not seen in 5 years (and whose behavior I couldn't stand). I AM STOKED. What a gift. Have no clue what we will do. Laurie wasn't as excited as me because she will be exhausted from Vegas and she moves right back into work and that is the weekend Eric's son (Travis) is with them so she doesn't know how much time she'll have with Crystal, but I AM STOKED!!! I figure the girl will just have to adapt to my life and we will do what we can. I intend to have her work with me a bit and to try and find out if one of my helpers can work on Saturday for me (my 11 hours shift). Going to do what I always do....trust the Universe and know all will be perfect and in right order. This should be very interesting! (Oh, and the reason for this sudden visit; Steve is taking his wife (Sharon) to Niagara Falls for their 23rd wedding anniversary and Steve doesn't want to leave Crystal home "alone" (forget her two remaining brothers at home-the other two are preparing to leave for Afghanistan in August - taking after their Uncle Kenneth and joined the Army-gives me a chill) because Steve thinks she "might be getting interested in boys now!" Fathers are always the last to get it. I told him she probably has been for the last couple of years but he says no. Fathers with 1 daughter in 5 kids can be very funny-poor deluded guy! Love him. Anyway, that is how I started this day. WoW

2 Comments:

At April 14, 2008 at 1:25 PM , Blogger Princess said...

That will be so fun for you! I am sure she will not care what you do, it is always fun just being somewhere other than home!

 
At April 23, 2008 at 12:37 PM , Blogger Sandi said...

I'm sure you will have a pleasant time. Any 15 year old can be difficult and have "attitude" but your spirit is so strong it will go well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home